Tuesday, April 14, 2009
When you start pumping the tyres on your bike at 2:30am
The night before a race
Did I mention I was slightly drunk?
Or that my pump exploded around 3ish
And that I had to leave for the race at 5:30? Just 2 hours or so after I finally got to bed
Have to love having my mother in laws birthday party the night before a sprint! (it was a great night though)
Basically I was about a minute slower than last year. Some highlights / lowlights were
• For once I was strong in the swim finishing in the middle of the pack. In a new experience I was sitting on the feet of someone going at a fair pace when they decided to do breath stroke. Their first 4 kicks were straight in my eye…..
• My ride was okay but the course was packed. I did not get into a groove until the end of it…and ended up swearing in frustration at one point (not cool!)
• My run was tough at first but I managed to get into a nice groove. In typical Greg style I finished the course with plenty in the tank. How do I get the pacing right?
• Chris McCormack (Australian Olympic Distance Champion) was in the race. He finished about 14 minutes ahead of me….it just shows that the pro’s are on a different level
• No one is better supported than me. I had almost my whole family come along to see me for around 10 seconds!
Considering I have been sick for the past month, am a new Dad, slept for around 2 hours the night before and have not trained that much I am not too unhappy with my result….but it does give me motivation to get back into it!
PS Word of warning the more I train the more I post – apologies in advance
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
I have a sprint tri on the weekend.
I am not prepared at all. Put it this way my bike has two flat tyres, my shoes have holes in them and who knows where my goggles are
I have a bung shoulder and a stomach bug (has been with me for 1 month now….basically I do not absorb protein so am tired all the time)
It is in Sydney Harbour…where all the sharks are….
Am I a goner?
Will let you know next week!